[Haskell-cafe] Hackage policy question

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Wed Sep 10 18:35:03 EDT 2008

On 2008 Sep 10, at 17:51, Duncan Coutts wrote:
>> dependent packages don't get confused when it's re-released.  If
>> we're
>> considering modifying hackage's versioning, we should probably decide
>> if we want/need this now instead of having to add it in later when
>> something major goes *boom*.
>
> We've thought about this and we think we do not need epoch numbers
> since
> we're in the lucky position of doing the upstream versioning.

Are we?  I think the package author has final say if a package needs
to be backed off, and any packages released between the rollback and
the next release with dependencies on the backed-off package will be
problematic, no matter how draconian hackage's version checking is.
(This is a different situation from datecode versions as in the trac
ticket.)

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu