[Haskell-cafe] Windows details

Steve Schafer steve at fenestra.com
Tue Sep 9 13:57:33 EDT 2008

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 18:13:50 +0100, you wrote:

>Under MS Windows, if you right-click on an executable file and select
>"properties", sometimes there's a "Version" tab that tells you the
>version number of the program. And sometimes there isn't. (Most
>especially, GHC-compiled programs do not have this tab.) Anybody know
>how to go about adding this?
>
>Also, anybody know how to give a GHC-compiled program a custom icon?

Version information and application icons are both stored in data
structures called "resources"; these are appended to the executable
portion of the application, inside the EXE file. There are a number of
predefined resource types, such as the aforementioned version info and
icon, which follow specific data formats, and you can also define custom
resources to store just about anything you want. (For example, in an
application I wrote recently, I used custom resources to embed a set of
TrueType fonts into the EXE.)

There are a gazillion resource editors available for modifying the
resources linked into an EXE; go to the Wikipedia page for a reasonable
starting point:

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_(Windows)

Steve Schafer
Fenestra Technologies Corp