[Haskell-cafe] Can you do everything without shared-memory concurrency?

Kyle Consalus consalus at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 16:15:11 EDT 2008

Depending on definitions and how much we want to be concerned with
distributed systems,
I believe either model can be used to emulate the other (though it is
harder to emulate the possible
pitfalls of shared memory with CSP).

To me, it seems somewhat similar to garbage collection vs manually
memory management.
You can choose the potential to be more clever than the computer at
the risk of finding
the problem is more clever than you are.

Anyway, for the time being I believe there are operations that can be
done with shared memory
that can't be done with message passing if we make "good performance"
a requirement.