[Haskell-cafe] Re: Top Level <-

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Sep 7 12:34:20 EDT 2008

On 2008 Sep 7, at 12:10, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
>>> Since you consider memory leaks to be worse than correct behavior,
>
> Not leaking memory is *part* of correct behaviour. If <- is to be
> created at all, it should be created with restrictions that make it
> capable of guaranteeing correct behaviour.
>
>> (But you might want to go look at that list of modules which do
>> global variable initialization and therefore aren't entirely
>> trustworthy unless something like ACIO exists.)
>
> We should fix them (and their interface) so this doesn't happen,
> rather than standardising something broken.

And we're right back to "so how do we do this when we aren't allowed
to record that it has already been run?"  You seem to think we must
never insure that something will only be run once, that any program
that does require this is broken.  As such, the standard Haskell
libraries (including some whose interfaces are H98) are unfixably
broken and you'd better start looking elsewhere for your "correct
behavior".

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu