[Haskell-cafe] Re: Top Level <-

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sat Sep 6 18:16:15 EDT 2008

On 2008 Sep 6, at 18:06, Ashley Yakeley wrote:

>>> This sounds "reachable" to me, and therefore static overhead and
>>> not a leak.
>> You can call it what you like, but it's still unacceptable
>> behaviour, particularly since clients of M will have no way of
>> telling from its API that it will happen.
>
> That what will happen?

I have no idea what Ganesh is complaining about, but if the point of
ACIO is one-time initialization, it is pretty much required that
something will be allocated to record the fact that a given item has
been initialized (otherwise it can't guarantee the initializer runs
exactly once, after all), and therefore that is part of the base ACIO
API.  So what exactly is the issue here?

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu