[Haskell-cafe] RE: [Haskell] Top Level <-

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Fri Sep 5 03:39:51 EDT 2008

Ashley Yakeley wrote:
> Sittampalam, Ganesh wrote:
>>> Oh dear. To fix this, I suppose the RTS would have to be able to
keep
>>> track of all static initialisers. But it shouldn't otherwise affect
>>> program optimisation.
>>
>> What would the RTS actually do?

> I don't know enough about the RTS to say. I imagine initialisers would

> have to be marked in object files, so the RTS could link them
separately
> when dynamically loading. The RTS would also keep a list of
initialisers
> in the main program.

Sounds plausible, although dynamic relocations do slow down linking.

Unloading is another interesting problem. Are we allowed to re-run <-
if the module that contained it is unloaded and then reloaded? I'm not
quite sure what the conditions for allowing a module to be unloaded
in general should be, though.

Ganesh