[Haskell-cafe] Categorical language

Bill william.wood3 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 4 15:36:27 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 20:46 +0200, Pierre-Evariste Dagand wrote:
> > what could be a "categorical language"?
>
> Something we would call Charity, for example :-)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charity_(programming_language)
> http://pll.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/charity1/www/home.html
>
> Also, there has been/is some work on Squiggol and the Algebra of
> Programming that relies on categories :
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird-Meertens_Formalism
> http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1117
>
> > does that makes sense at all?
>
> I wish it does, these stuffs are quite exciting. However, most of
> these projects are more than 10 years old. But maybe I'm missing the
> latest development of this field.

I've heard similar questions among the aldor community.  IIUC aldor is a
second cut at a mathematical programming language.  Its original use was
to provide the underpinning to the Axiom family of CAS.  They are
exploring the use of aldor outside of CAS support, however.  The
language is strongly typed, and the "domains" include things like Ring
and Field.