[Haskell-cafe] Hackage -> MacPorts?

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Sep 4 12:33:25 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 04, 2008 at 12:09:33PM -0400, David Menendez wrote:

> Does anyone know whether arch linux and debian can handle multiple
> Haskell environments?

Debian currently only handles one version of GHC (but package
dependencies mean that you can't end up with libraries compiled for the
wrong version installed).

There wouldn't be any technical problems embedding the ghc version in
the package names, and /usr/bin/ghc would work fine with the
alternatives system. I don't think that having multiple versions in
Debian itself is feasible, but you could certainly do it in another
repository.

(technically, it's one version of ghc 6.*, as the package names use
"ghc6" rather than just "ghc").

Having libraries for other implementations is fine in Debian, although
most of the libraries are ghc6-only at the moment, I believe.

Thanks
Ian