[Haskell-cafe] Haskell audio libraries & audio formats

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 17:17:34 EDT 2008

On 2008.08.24 11:41:04 -0400, Eric Kidd <haskell at randomhacks.net> scribbled 3.7K characters:
> Greetings, Haskell folks!
>
> I'm working on a toy program for drum synthesis.  This has lead me to
> explore the various sound-related libraries in Hackage.  Along the way,
> I've learned several things:
>
>   1. There's a lot of Haskell sound libraries, but no agreement on how
>      to represent buffers of audio data.
>   2. Some of the most useful sound libraries aren't listed in Hackage's
>      "Sound" section, including HCodecs, SDL-mixer and hogg.

Have you contacted the authors to ask they add the Sound categorization? I already sent a hogg patch, but couldn't find any darcs repositories for SDL-mixer or HCodecs.

> No public sound-buffer API:
>   hbeat: The relevant source files are missing!

The cabal file was missing the Other-modules field. I've sent the author a patch.

--
gwern
Surveillance Defcon S511 anarchy REP NSIRL grenades dort UT/RUS W