[Haskell-cafe] Top Level <-

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Tue Sep 2 11:34:28 EDT 2008

David Roundy wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 10:10:31AM +0100, Sittampalam, Ganesh wrote:

>> Arguably both of these cases are not ACIO simply because of the
>> non-termination effects, but it's not obvious to me how you tell just

>> by looking at either one's code together with the declared API of the

>> other. Is anything strict automatically forbidden by ACIO?

> Isn't this just a pure infinite loop? Why is it a problem that ACIO
> allows you the flexibility that's present in any pure code?

ACIO promises that you can remove anything unused without changing
the behaviour.

The same problem doesn't arise in pure code because you can't write
top-level strict bindings. The GHC extension to have strict bindings
(bang patterns) is explicitly disallowed at top-level:
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/bang-patterns.ht
ml

Ganesh