[Haskell-cafe] Compiler's bane

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 1 14:47:00 EDT 2008

Here is a *much* bigger problem: How do you check that an interpretter
is correct??

You can't very easily write a QuickCheck property that will generate
every possible valid expression and then check that the output of the
interpretter is formally equivilent. The QuickCheck property would be a
second copy of the interpretter, which proves nothing!

Any hints? Just how *do* you check something large like this?

I wonder - how do the GHC developers check that GHC works properly? (I
guess by compiling stuff and running it... It's a bit harder to check
that a lambda interpretter is working right.)