[Haskell-cafe] cabal update : getHostByName

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Sep 1 09:14:32 EDT 2008

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 12:01:49PM +0200, minh thu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've followed the instruction from the upcoming book Real World
> Haskell to install cabal.
>
> Now, when I enter "cabal update", it answers this:
>
> Downloading package list from server
> 'http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive'
> cabal: getHostByName: does not exist (no such host entry)

Not sure which libraries you (cabal) is using here.
On some debian System there has been a dns issue.
You should check wether the tool is using the curl bindings http library
and look for this problem in forums of your distro.
Maybe try curl <url> That gives
That gives: ... The document has moved
to http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/ (note the last slash)
for me.

Maybe also try adding the ip of hackage.haskell.org to /etc/hosts for a
temporary workaround ?

You should also tell us which operating system you are using.

Sincerly
Marc Weber