[Haskell-cafe] Research language vs. professional language

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Mon Sep 1 04:20:20 EDT 2008

ryani.spam:
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 7:27 PM, Jonathan Cast
> <jonathanccast at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> > This concept of `day-to-day work' is a curious one.  Haskell is not a
> > mature language, and probably shouldn't ever be one.
>
> I see where you are coming from here, but I think that train has
> already started and can't be stopped.

Yeah, it's too late. Too many people have their pay checks riding on
GHC, the Hackage library set (now up to 740 libraries and tools!), and
the continued development of the language in general.

If Haskell's not "mature" yet, then perhaps it has reached its early
twenties, with an reliable heavy duty optimizing compiler, fast runtime,
large library set, standard documentation, testing, debugging and
packaging tools, and large community.

And a community with a lot of energy.

We're serious about this thing.

-- Don