[Haskell-cafe] darcs hacking sprint #1 (report)

Eric Y. Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri Oct 31 19:28:51 EDT 2008

Dear Haskellers,

I thought some of you might be interested in our report from the darcs
hacking sprint, held on 25-26 October.  See also the blog version of it
at http://blog.darcs.net/2008/10/darcs-hacking-sprint-1-report.html
(it has photos).

So how did that darcs hacking sprint go?  Well, we had a lot of fun and
we got a lot of work done, so I think we can safely say that it was a
great success!

What next?  The sprint participants found themselves with a lot of good work
started that we simply couldn't put down, so we have continued hacking into
the week, turning many of our good starts into more concrete progress. There
is still a lot of work to do so we want to make sure we keep that momentum
going!  The big challenge right now is to get all of the patches reviewed and
merged back into darcs.net.  Unfortunately, this is creating a delay in the
usual patch review process as we clear our backlog.  In the meantime, please
continue sending your patches!

Thanks very much to David Roundy for his advice before the sprint and cheerful
handling of this patch influx; Galois, the University of Brighton and
Université de Paris 7 for graciously hosting our three venues; and especially
to everybody who participated or joined #darcs to cheer us on :-)

The next sprint will be held in conjunction with the Haskell Hackathon, March
2009 in Utrecht, Netherlands.  So see you in six months!

Overview
--------
Total sprint patches        : 234

Patches produced
 - during the sprint itself : 178
 - as follow-up work        :  56

Patches sent and
 - accepted into darcs.net  :  43
 - awaiting review          : 191

("during" defined as 25-27 October 2008 at 08:00 UTC)

Site reports
------------
* Team Portland:
  - report: http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2008-October/015082.html
  - pictures: http://blog.codersbase.com/2008/10/28/darcs-hacking-sprint-summary-from-portland-team/

* Team Brighton:
  - report: http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2008-October/015122.html
  - pictures: http://koweycode.blogspot.com/2008/10/darcs-hacking-sprints-some-pictures.html
  - pictures: http://koweycode.blogspot.com/2008/10/darcs-hacking-sprint-team-brighton-day.html

* Team Paris:
  - report: http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2008-October/015215.html

What we worked on
-----------------

Warm up tasks
=============
* Warn the user when the patch name looks like a command line option
   - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue395
   - Participants: Reinier Lamers (Team Paris)

Optimisations
=============
* Solved stack overflow when doing whatsnew on very large lines
   - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1017
   - Participants: Ganesh Sittampalam (Team Brighton)

Performance-related features
============================
* Filecache to improve darcs annotate and darcs changes performance
   - Participants: Benedikt Schmidt

Improved Windows support
========================
* Bugs fixed:
   - newline endings on Windows for HTTP module.
   - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue774  - fix character echo on win32.
   - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1023 - bracket file writing to prevent windows permission errors.
   - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue784  - fix file handle leak and check for exceptions on process running.
* Participants: Salvatore Insalaco

Infrastructure and cleanups
===========================
* Code cleanups
   - Added language pragmas in all files
   - Removed OldFastPackedString
   - Replaced FastPackedStrings api in favor of Data.ByteString api
   - Participants: Don Stewart and Jason Dagit (Team Portland)

Camp
====
* http://projects.haskell.org/camp
* Progress...
   - developed "chunky" hunk representation and tests!
   - got libcurl working under Windows with Cabal
   - primitive interactive patch selection implemented
   - Repository type rather than FilePath for repos
* Participants: Ian Lynagh (Team Brighton)

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9