[Haskell-cafe] What's this algebraic structure called?

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Oct 28 00:25:23 EDT 2008

On 28 Oct 2008, at 3:51 pm, Derek Elkins wrote:
> Some variation on a module then:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_(mathematics)

When you have M acting on X and X is an abelian group:
   M is a field => vector space
   M is a ring  => module
   M is a semiring => module over a semiring
   M is a monoid => ???

Maybe I can generalise M to a ring after all...

More information about the Haskell-Cafe mailing list