[Haskell-cafe] Haskell on the JVM

Brian Alliet brian at brianweb.net
Mon Oct 27 15:02:48 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:58:11AM +0000, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> Is there an interest in hosting GHC on the JVM (besides my own).

Yep. I wrote a JVM backend for GHC (LambdaVM). It is suffering from
bit-rot though. I think this thread has re-spaked my interest in it
though.

> I don't think it's so hard to translate GHC's Core language to the
> JVM.

Definitely not. That is more or less the route I took (I actually
transform STG it into yet another simple intermediate laguage that is
more JVM friendly, this was more for optimization purposes though).
While C-- looks fantastic for generating native code, it just didn't
seem worth the effort to shoehorn it into the JVM. Although I haven't
looked at any of the new backend stuff, I suspect it still won't be
suitable for the JVM.

-Brian