[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Weekly News: Issue 90 - October 25, 2008

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Sat Oct 25 18:28:22 EDT 2008

Haskell Weekly News
http://sequence.complete.org/hwn/20081025
Issue 90 - October 25, 2008

   Welcome to issue 90 of HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the
   [1]Haskell community.

   One day a Haskell n00b asked the master coder, "Master, does (const 3
   undefined) have the terminating nature, or not?" The master replied,
   "Of course." Cried the n00b, "But that changes everything! Why did you
   not tell me this before?" "You never asked." Immediately, the n00b was
   enlightened.

Announcements

   Darcs hacking sprint. Eric Kow [2]announced that the [3]darcs hacking
   sprint is taking place this weekend!

   Lambdabot 4.2.2. Gwern Branwen [4]announced the release of [5]version
   4.2.2 of lambdabot, the famous Haskell IRC bot. The new release has
   innumerable new features and bugfixes, trained suckling pigs, mermaids,
   etc.

   Autoproc Change of Maintainer (if you use procmail you should read
   this). Jason Dagit [6]announced that Gwern Branwen will be taking over
   the [7]autoproc project. Autoproc makes it quick and easy for Haskell
   programmers to make procmail recipes by using an embedded domain
   specific language. Once your recipes type check and compile, you simply
   run autoproc and it generates the corresponding procmail recipe.

   External Sort: Sort a 10-million integer file with just 256M of ram..
   Thomas Hartman [8]announced the external-sort package. It implements an
   on-disk external sort algorithm in Haskell, which you can use to sort
   lists that will not fit in memory.

   IEEE-utils. Sterling Clover [9]announced the [10]IEEE-utils package,
   providing a number of bindings for anyone interested in doing hardcore
   floating-point programming.

   rewriting-0.1. Thomas van Noort [11]announced the release of
   [12]rewriting, a generic rewriting library for regular datatypes.
   Features include generic rewriting machinery, generic traversals, and
   rewrite rules defined as values instead of functions.

   REMINDER: Haskell Communities and Activities Report. Janis Voigtlaender
   [13]reminded everyone that the deadline for the November 2008 edition
   of the Haskell Communities and Activities Report (Friday, October 31)
   is approaching fast! If you haven't already, please write an entry for
   your new project, or update your old entry. For more information, see
   the original [14]call for contributions.

   lhs2tex-1.14. Andres Loeh [15]announced the release of [16]lhs2TeX
   version 1.14, a a preprocessor to generate LaTeX code from literate
   Haskell sources.

   colour 0.0.0. roconnor [17]announced an initial release of the
   [18]colour package. It is hoped that this library will become the
   standard colour library for Haskell.

Discussion

   Hackage Improvement Ideas. Jason Dagit [19]suggested some improvements
   to Hackage and asked for others to contribute their ideas as well.

   Spine-lazy "multiqueue". Luke Palmer [20]asked for help implementing an
   efficient spine-lazy multiqueue.

Jobs

   Functional programming job opening. Simon Peyton-Jones [21]announced a
   [22]job opening in functional programming at Microsoft. They are
   looking for "an experienced software development engineer who has
   mastered C/C++ and/or C# development and is now learning or is already
   an expert using F# (or Haskell)."

Blog noise

   [23]Haskell news from the [24]blogosphere.
     * Eric Kow (kowey): [25]darcs hacking sprints - some pictures from
       Team Brighton.
     * Jason Dagit: [26]Understanding Darcs Commute.
     * Ketil Malde: [27]Optimization again: befuddled by bytestrings.
     * Creighton Hogg: [28]Revisiting old concepts.
     * Tupil: [29]On unit testing and type checking.
     * Eric Kow (kowey): [30]darcs weekly news #9.
     * >>> Alberto Corona: [31]Axioms and properties for haskell classes.
       Alberto demonstrates some code for adding checkable algebraic
       properties to type classes.
     * Creighton Hogg: [32]A serious problem. Creighton with some straight
       talk about typeclass abuse.
     * London Haskell Users Group: [33]Next meeting: Duncan Coutts on the
       Haskell Platform.
     * Manuel M T Chakravarty: [34]Keep those cores busy!. A comprehensive
       account of the full vectorisation transformation underlying the
       implementation of nested data parallelism in GHC.
     * Conal Elliott: [35]Simpler, more efficient, functional linear maps.
     * Conal Elliott: [36]Vector space bases via type families.
     * >>> Sebastian Fischer: [37]Constrained Monadic Computations.
     * Luke Palmer: [38]I know what I'm going to get for christmas. "I
       believe I have found a truly marvelous implementation of FRP which
       this blog post is too short to contain."
     * >>> codeflow: [39]On Haskell and C++.
     * >>> Simon Dobson: [40]Why Haskell will take over the world. Simon
       has some thoughts on functional programming and the future of
       programming languages.
     * >>> Falko: [41]Learning Haskell's Basics - Problems from Project
       Euler.

Quotes of the Week

     * vixey: debugging code is admitting defeat
     * kaomoji: [on #haskell] man, you guys are really nerdy
     * sclv: I guess I'd believe the universe was lazy if the hubble
       looked at that stuff way at the edge of the big bang diaspora and
       when we magnified the picture we saw "stack overflow"
     * rwbarton: relational calculus? "DIFFERENTIATE TABLE users WITH
       RESPECT TO name"
     * heatsink: ban :: (BanContext no, UserIdentifer u) => u -> no u
     * rwbarton: I tried typechecking the value of unwords (replicate 125
       "fmap") in ghci once, and it consumed all my memory
     * ghc: Step 3: Zonk the kinds

About the Haskell Weekly News

   New editions are posted to [42]the Haskell mailing list as well as to
   [43]the Haskell Sequence and [44]Planet Haskell. [45]RSS is also
   available, and headlines appear on [46]haskell.org.

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please see the
   information on [47]how to contribute. Send stories to byorgey at cis
   dot upenn dot edu. The darcs repository is available at darcs get
   [48]http://code.haskell.org/~byorgey/code/hwn/ .