[Haskell-cafe] Crash!

Thomas DuBuisson thomas.dubuisson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 14:47:47 EDT 2008

> The point is... I'm not doing that. Gtk2hs is, but that's a well-tested
>> library, so I very much doubt it's the source of the bug.
>

> so how would a bug in GTK or in libpng demonstrate itself ? i'm wondering,
> wouldn't it be a segfault ?
> does just wrapping them in some fancy haskell typed functions turn every
> library into a safe, typed haskell code ?

Sure it would, but the type system helps prevent programmers from misusing
the (hopefully correctly implemented) functions and thus triggering an error
due to bad input (ex: a pointer freed memory).  And as Andrew said, GTK and
its bindings are well tested so he is doubting that as the cause.  I
wouldn't rule it out so fast, but GHC has compiled pure code and crashed for
me before, so its shouldn't be surprising either way.

As for fixing this problem, is there a bit more detailed error you could
provide, Andrew?

Tom