[Haskell-cafe] any idea why cabal install cabal-install cant update itself in windows?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 23 14:26:04 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 19:56 -0700, Anatoly Yakovenko wrote:
> C:\Documents and Settings\anatolyy>cabal install cabal-install
> Resolving dependencies...
> 'cabal-install-0.6.0' is cached.
> Configuring cabal-install-0.6.0...
> Preprocessing executables for cabal-install-0.6.0...
> Building cabal-install-0.6.0...
> Linking dist\build\cabal\cabal.exe ...
> Installing: C:\Documents and Settings\anatolyy\Application Data\cabal\bin
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\anatolyy>cabal --version
> cabal-install version 0.5.2
> using version 1.4.0.2 of the Cabal library

Right, the problem as you discovered is exe search paths.

This is because deciding where we should install exes by default seems
to be a controversial issue. So we have not made a good decision yet.

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/289

The current state is well known to be sub-optimal (installing by default
into a dir that is not on the path by default) but trying to get
agreement on the "Right Thing"tm is tricky.

This is currently one of the most frequent issues tripping people up so
we'll try and come up with a reasonable compromise.

Duncan