[Haskell-cafe] Re: ghc error: requested module name differs from name found in interface file

Larry Evans cppljevans at suddenlink.net
Wed Oct 22 14:23:07 EDT 2008

On 10/21/08 18:55, Larry Evans wrote:
> On 10/21/08 17:55, Duncan Coutts wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 09:41 -0500, Larry Evans wrote:
>>> Just that one little piece of information, that |cabal install| , by
>>> default, installs in ~/.cabal and then enables ghc to look there for
>>> packages, would have saved an awful lot of time :(
>>
>> Where would you like that information to have been presented? Perhaps
>> something the first time you used the cabal command to say what
>> configuration it was using?
>>
>> Duncan
>
> I'd suggest putting this information after the brief description of the
> install option here:
>
>   http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/wiki/CabalInstall
[snip]

I'm pretty sure another reason why I had difficulty was that I followed
the instructions here:

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Cabal/How_to_install_a_Cabal_package

to install cabal itself.  Those instructions install globally.  I just
assumed that |cabal install| would do the same.  Maybe if the default
install destinations for both manual and |cabal install| were the same,
I wouldn't have had this problem.  Although I see lower down on
that CabalInstall page there's instructions for a user install,
I didn't bother to read that far since I was only interested in just
getting the package to install ASAP.

HTH.

-Larry