[Haskell-cafe] Re: Build without install, using cabal

Sean Leather leather at cs.uu.nl
Wed Oct 22 07:32:01 EDT 2008

> I would like to include a few source files
>>> as 'executable' sections in a .cabal package
>>> description. However, although I do want to
>>> use main=mainDefault features, I do not want
>>> those packages to be installed when I run
>>> 'Setup.hs install'.
>>>

>> Yes, just use this in the executable section:
>>
>> buildable: False
>>

> But I do want it to be built (so Setup will
> check dependencies, allow me to './Setup clean'
> etc.). However, I would like './Setup install'
> to install just the main library.

Just in case my response to you (in a previous thread that you started)
wasn't clear, EMGM also provides an example of this feature. See the Cabal
configuration file.

  http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/emgm/0.1/emgm.cabal

Follow the use of the 'test' flag in that file. By running "./Setup
configure" with no flags, 'test' is False. When you run "./Setup configure
-ftest", 'test' is true. Look for the use of 'buildable' w.r.t. 'test'.

Regards,
Sean