[Haskell-cafe] Re: A heretic question

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Mon Oct 20 23:07:52 EDT 2008

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 23:08:06 +0200, Achim Schneider <barsoap at web.de>
wrote:

>What kind of things, barring coding on Haskell-less platforms and
>library interfaces would you choose to do in C++?
>
>I'm asking 'cos I'm learning C++ and can't get the proper motivation to
>do any program I can think of in it: If I need abstraction, I'm
>thinking Haskell or Scheme, and if I'm thinking performance, C itself
>more than suffices.
>
>Plus template programming makes me shudder because of its atrocities
>against clear and straightforward FP, but that's a different matter.
>
>Coming to think of it, a compiler from a clean syntax to C++ templates
>sounds like a fun project... which I'd do in Haskell.

Read the following uncensored interview with Bjarne Stroustrup, the
designer of C++, and then tell me what you think:

An Interview with Bjarne Stroustrup
http://www.ariel.com.au/jokes/An_Interview_with_Bjarne_Stroustrup.html

-- Benjamin L. Russell