[Haskell-cafe] A heretic question

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+cl at mega-nerd.com
Sun Oct 19 17:23:02 EDT 2008

Achim Schneider wrote:

> What kind of things, barring coding on Haskell-less platforms and
> library interfaces would you choose to do in C++?

I'm realatively new to Haskell but I've been coding pretty intensively
in Ocaml for a number of years.

For new code, there is stuff I would do in C over Haskell/Ocaml; low
level libraries, realtime audio DSP (digital signal processing) and
device drivers. For all of these I would choose C over C++ because C
is a cleaner less cluttered language. As soon as I want to do something
more high level, then I choose a real high level languague like Ocaml
and maybe some day even Haskell.

Erik de Castro Lopo
"A task always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into
account Hofstadter's Law." -- Douglas Hofstadter