[Haskell-cafe] is 256M RAM insufficient for a 20 million element Int/Int map?

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at flippac.org
Sun Oct 19 07:25:26 EDT 2008

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> Hello Bertram,
>
> Sunday, October 19, 2008, 6:19:31 AM, you wrote:
>
> > That's 5 words per elements
>
> ... that, like everything else, should be multiplied by 2-3 to
> account GC effect

Unless I'm much mistaken, that isn't the case when you're looking at the
minimum heap size because the GC'll run more frequently when you hit the
max heap size supported anyway, no? The 2-3 is relevant when asking if
it'll go at all fast, or how much memory'll get eaten if it's there, sure.

flippa at flippac.org

Society does not owe people jobs.
Society owes it to itself to find people jobs.