[Haskell-cafe] Very silly

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Thu Oct 16 15:56:53 EDT 2008

Not that I want or need to defend C++ on this list, but
reference-counted smart pointers (e.g. boost::shared_ptr<>), embedded
inside copy-on-write proxy classes, largely simulates eager garbage
collection. Targeted overriding of the new operator can make this lazier
for efficiency.

In other words, there are well established idioms in most successful
languages to solve obvious problems. Haskell's strengths are more in
making these idioms simple and robust enough for the average user, not
just the guru, and to make difficult or impossible the misuse of unsafe
idioms.

Dan