[Haskell-cafe] Re: 2008-10-12 Hackage status with GHC 6.10 release candidate

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Thu Oct 16 05:45:47 EDT 2008

Simon Marlow wrote:
> wren ng thornton wrote:
>> Simon Marlow wrote:
>>>
>>> Nobody should be importing GHC.Prim, use GHC.Exts instead.
>>

>> This is oft declared, but as things stand I don't think it's a tenable
>> position. If someone's bothering to dig as far as GHC.Exts then it's
>> very likely they're trying to optimize numeric computations and for
>> that there are a number of functions in GHC.Prim which are essential,
>> in particular the fast conversion functions for numeric types[1]. If
>> those were moved to GHC.Exts then I think many people would be more
>> inclined to heed the advice.
>
> GHC.Exts re-exports the whole of GHC.Prim.  There's no reason to import
> GHC.Prim at all.  Admittedly this isn't immediately obvious from the
> documentation, but it is there.  Hopefully in the future we can improve
> Haddock so that it'll be able to paste in the whole of GHC.Prim into the
> GHC.Exts documentation, and we can then hide GHC.Prim.

On more recent checking that seems to be the case, however I do recall
having issues with it in the past. Seems to work on 6.6 too so I'll
switch my stuff over.

FWIW, if you explicitly re-export the entities by name Haddock will
paste them in (though that's a lot of copying in the export list).

--
Live well,
~wren