[Haskell-cafe] ANN: hledger 0.1, command-line accounting tool

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Wed Oct 15 20:01:37 EDT 2008

I'm pleased to announce the first release of hledger, a command-line
accounting tool similar to John Wiegley's c++ ledger. hledger generates
simple ledger-compatible transaction & account balance reports from a
plain text ledger file. It's simple to use, at least for techies.

This has been my "learning Haskell" project, but I think it's also
useful. It is much less featureful than ledger, and not quite as fast,
but it has the virtue of being fun for haskellers to hack on. I am
documenting the code, the app is simple, and I'm not too far up the
haskell learning curve, so I think other people learning haskell might
enjoy a look. It is currently ~1100 lines of haskell excluding tests.

home: http://joyful.com/Ledger#hledger
darcsweb: http://joyful.com/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=hledger
darcs 2 repo: http://joyful.com/repos/hledger
haddock: http://joyful.com/repos/hledger/api-doc/

ledger home: http://newartisans.com/software/ledger.html
ledger manual (recommended):

My thanks to John Wiegley for help with compatibility and for his very
useful ledger tool. I use it (and now, both of them) daily to track time
and money. This is of course a hot topic around our planet. I hope you
find it useful or intriguing.

Patches and feedback welcome!