[Haskell-cafe] Flexible instances

George Pollard porges at porg.es
Wed Oct 15 06:28:37 EDT 2008

Thanks to all that replied (Derek & Ryan for the major understanding,
Albert & Luke also)*. I guess I was getting confused with the error
message:

> (All instance types must be of the form (T a1 ... an)

I was interpreting this with Stringable/Enum as T and [Char]/Blah as
a1.

Now I have clarity! I shall have to follow up Iavor's lead on why this
*is*.

Thanks!

*[Silly email reply system; discussions on the internet should form an
acyclic directed graph, not a tree! This, incidentally, is why I'm
replying to myself.]