[Haskell-cafe] Re: 2008-10-12 Hackage status with GHC 6.10 release candidate

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Wed Oct 15 04:25:31 EDT 2008

Simon Marlow wrote:
> Don Stewart wrote:
> >     * GHC.Prim was moved,
>
> Nobody should be importing GHC.Prim, use GHC.Exts instead.

This is oft declared, but as things stand I don't think it's a tenable
position. If someone's bothering to dig as far as GHC.Exts then it's
very likely they're trying to optimize numeric computations and for that
there are a number of functions in GHC.Prim which are essential, in
particular the fast conversion functions for numeric types[1]. If those
were moved to GHC.Exts then I think many people would be more inclined
to heed the advice.

[1] Of the many, these four especially: int2Double#, int2Float#,
double2Float#, float2Double#. Though I'm sure the folks who work with
Words would like to add to this list.

--
Live well,
~wren