[Haskell-cafe] Very silly

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 11:10:26 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 11:31 PM, Brad Larsen <brad.larsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the next C++ standard, type checking capabilities are being added to templates---"concepts" specify a set of operations a templated type must support.  See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B0x#Concepts>.  Seems somewhat similar to Haskell typeclasses to me, but perhaps the similarity is merely superficial. :-)

A professor of mine, Jeremy Siek, was a major proponent of concepts on
the design committee.  If I recall correctly, he mentioned Haskell
typeclasses as a direct inspiration.  Incidentally, Concepts will
flaunt more features than typeclasses to CEOs everywhere because C++
does not have inference to worry about   (and already has an
undecidable compile time, so what would it have to lose?).

Luke