[Haskell-cafe] I do not want to be a bitch, but ghc-6.8.3 and haskell binary policy are really horrible.

Magicloud magicloud.magiclouds at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 05:37:56 EDT 2008

Sorry, let me say it this way:
1. Ghc cannot be bootstrap-installed. And the ghc-6.8.3 binary from
official website also cannot run in my box, some kind of overflow error.
So I have to look for help, a few hours later, I found 6.4.2 (I am not
sure) which runs well in my box, and install ghc-6.8.3 indirectly.
2. After `cabal update && cabal upgrade`, ghc-6.8.3 cannot be built. Lib
Network.URI cannot be compiled because:
Network/CGI/Protocol.hs:41:0:
   Failed to load interface for `Network.URI':
     Perhaps you haven't installed the profiling libraries for package
network-2.2.0.0?
     Use -v to see a list of the files searched for.
I remove this SUBDIRS from the Makefile, luckly, it works. A few more
hours lost in my life.
3. When I `ghc -v`, there are lots of "hiding package xxx to avoid
conflict with later version yyy", do I have a way to remove these hiding
packages? And "package xx will be ignored due to missing or recursive
dependencies: yy", what does this mean? If it is ignored, my program
using it compiled and run well. If the dependencies are not right, how
can I fix it? I installed this by cabal. It reports nothing wrong and
cannot check if all packages dependencies are OK.
4. When `cabal upgrade`, I do not think it knows what it is doing. There
were many times that I cannot upgrade because I should manually
reinstall some packages to make it work (Some guy say that this is
because ghc cannot know the difference between two lib files with the
same name). And, cabal does not upgrade all packages, I do not know why.
5. Sometimes when I upgrade some libraries, ghc failed to compile,
because ld failed to find the new libraries. (Which proves that ghc
cannot deal with binary files right). I need to recompile this, and
recompile that, MAYBE it would be resolved.

Everyday, I spend a few hours on compiling. Does it really need to be so
terrible? With erlang or ruby, I never spend more time debugging as
haskell's feature says but less time on how to run my code.