[Haskell-cafe] couple of questions on monads

Daryoush Mehrtash dmehrtash at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 17:31:23 EDT 2008

Is there a write up on what makes an implementation lazy vs strict?

I  like to better understand the trade off between the two and use cases
where one is better than the other.

I noticed that some functions in the lazy implementation uses "~" .    For
example

evalStateT :: (Monad m) => StateT s m a -> s -> m a
evalStateT m s = do
    ~(a, _) <- runStateT m s
    return a

What does ~ do?