[Haskell-cafe] Very silly

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 13 16:15:04 EDT 2008

Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> people that make critique on haskell type classes, don't take into
> account that it's unlike C++ templates, implemented via run-time
> dictionaries and other modules may define new instances

Personally, I have no clue how C++ templates work [yet]. (As in, I'm
learning C++, but I haven't got to that chapter yet.)

Some guy told me that templates are "the best feature in the language",
and proceeded to show me a huge chunk of highly complex-looking code
which is approximately equivilent to

  join :: Array x -> Array x -> Array x

I was unimpressed.

Actually, that's a lie. I was impressed that such a low-level language
could manage even that much abstraction. But I still prefer the Haskell
way...