[Haskell-cafe] Re: Interesting new user perspective

Mauricio briqueabraque at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 13 13:02:17 EDT 2008

> _Some_ newcommers flounder because they expect Haskell to be just
> another VB / C++ / Java / whatever. (Do we really want to encourage
> these people to be learning Haskell in the first place?) (...)

I hope so. One of my most important motivations to try
Haskell was that I thought it was radically drived by
some ideas that were only beggining to show up in C++,
and I'm happy to know I was right :)

(And, really, I was scared by how much time is lost with
misinformed critics about other languages.)

My begginer problem: syntax was a *major* issue, and I
only could overcome it with a lot of love for this
language. The best reference I was able to find is this:

http://www.hck.sk/users/peter/HaskellEx.htm

and it's not exactly for begginers.

Best,
Maurício