[Haskell-cafe] Still stacking monad transformers

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Oct 12 13:43:46 EDT 2008

Duncan Coutts wrote:
> Have you tried pure lazy functional programming without stacked monads?

I want to process multiple results. The list monad seems a natural way
to do this. (All of which goes horribly wrong when you try to add error
processing...)

> I've never been convinced that stacked monads is a good way to write
> ordinary code. Monad transformers are great for building your own custom
> monads but they should be wrapped in a newtype and made abstract. One
> shouldn't have to see the multiple layers. If ordinary code is full of
> 'lift' then it would seem to me that one is doing something wrong.

Given that what I'm attempting to do is extremely simple, yet I am
having extreme difficulty doing it, yeah, I think we can safely conclude
I'm doing something wrong.