[Haskell-cafe] Interesting new user perspective

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Fri Oct 10 21:35:54 EDT 2008

Quoth John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org>:

| Uh... yes.  Opening and closing files, command-line parsing, etc --
| needed by almost every program.  Aside from some very simple
| stdin-to-stdout filters, it is difficult to imagine a program where
| you don't need to open a file!

That's how it seems to me, too, and moreover maybe the most generally
recognizable API.  With a GUI or a database, you're going to need to
present a fair amount of background to just about everyone, but files,
command lines etc. are common to nearly every programming language.
If the virtues of Haskell can't be presented in this context, then maybe
it isn't such a generally useful language that people ought to be worried
about learning it.

	Donn Cave, donn at avvanta.com