[Haskell-cafe] Interesting new user perspective

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 10 17:49:51 EDT 2008

Jonathan Cast wrote:
> Newcomers flounder because they expect to keep programming the same way
> they always have.

_Some_ newcommers flounder because they expect Haskell to be just
another VB / C++ / Java / whatever. (Do we really want to encourage
these people to be learning Haskell in the first place?) Others it seems
flounder simply because Haskell completely changes almost all the rules
about programming, and they end up not knowing which way is up. I have
far more sympathy with these latter people.

As I say, teaching the language syntax and the standard library
functions it's going to help much on its own. You need to give these
people some idea of what the high-level game plan is. I think you need
to show people that you can use Haskell to do normal, ordinary stuff
before you start showing off the more exotic things. (Obviously, you
need to choose your examples carefully. Anything moderately complex is
probably going to be approached from a totally different angle in
Haskell, so the parallel won't be as helpful.)