[Haskell-cafe] Interesting new user perspective

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 14:08:08 EDT 2008

On 9 Oct 2008, at 9:33 pm, Andrew Coppin wrote:

>  I think it's just the teaching of the language that needs work,
> not so much the language itself.

As a newer user myself, I'd agree with this statement. I'd like to
see far more mundane tasks solved in tutorials. The number of times
building a parser or generating prime number is used as an example is
out of proportion to the times you'd use these things[1]. Just
simple, *really* easy things would be better. Maybe it's just me, but
if I wanted to learn perl or ruby or python or C# I'm not sure I'd
ever see a _tutorial_ containing a prime number.

Haskell is can obviously do some really interesting things, but
constantly having wikipedia open so I can look up whatever
mathematical doodah has just been mentioned can get draining. Even
Real World Haskell suffers a bit from this.

Iain

[1] In years of programming (other languages) I've never had to
generate my own primes or build a compiler or a parser. I may have
parsed things, but that's different to building an entire parser, if
you get my drift.

Actually, tell a  lie. I have built a parser, but it's still not
stuff for a beginner's tutorial IMHO.