[Haskell-cafe] Libraries in home dir

allan a.d.clark at ed.ac.uk
Thu Oct 9 09:27:50 EDT 2008

Hi,

In addition if you want to do this all or most of the time, that is there are few/no cabalised libraries you DO wish to install globally, then you can tell 'cabal' to do this all the time by editing your ~/.cabal/config file. Here is mine:

repos: hackage.haskell.org:http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive
cachedir: "/home/<USERNAME>/.cabal/packages"
hackage-username: ""
hackage-password: ""
compiler: ghc
user-install: True
user-prefix: "/home/<USERNAME>/install/"

regards
allan

Dougal Stanton wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 2:08 PM, Mauricio <briqueabraque at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to use a few libraries from hackage
>> and have already download and built them. Can
>> I install those libraries somewhere in my
>> home dir (I want to avoid installing as root)
>> so that ghc can find them?
>>
>> If so, which options should I give to Setup.hs
>> (with main=defaultMain) so that the libraries
>> are going to be copy to that dir?
>
> Dpeending on whether you have (and are using) cabal-install, either
>
> $ cabal install diagrams --prefix=$HOME --user
>
> or
>
> $ runhaskell Setup.lhs configure --prefix=$HOME --user
>

> That will (a) put the libraries etc in $HOME/lib and (b) register
> these packages locally.
>
> Hope that helps!

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.