[Haskell-cafe] Web application from the ground up

Arnaud Bailly abailly at oqube.com
Thu Oct 9 04:25:19 EDT 2008

Hello,
I am trying to implement a complete web application from the ground
up, with the objective to convince myself and others that 1) it is
possible, 2) it is powerful and 3) it is more expressive to do such a
thing in Haskell.

I managed to get to the point where I can handle users lifecycle
with DB handling, and I have a CLI application. I have a World that
stores Session objects, containing a "continuation" of possible
functions to call.

The problem I am facing now is how to handle (Fast)CGI requests, given
that each request seems to be served by a dinstinct invocation of a
function, and share the World between all connections. I have a vague
idea that this could be handled by creating some CGIT transformed
monad operating on a TVar World (that's what is hinted at on haskell
wiki), but I am not sure how to tackle this.

I asked this question on #haskell but had to leave too quickly. Some
people there seems to think this is something very common that has
been resolved over a hundred times. Once would be enough for me, and I
would be very happy if someone could point me to the right direction
or provide some sample code for this.

Best regards,
--
Arnaud Bailly, PhD