[Haskell-cafe] Name for Haskell based VPN Client/Server

ajb at spamcop.net ajb at spamcop.net
Mon Oct 6 20:56:50 EDT 2008

G'day all.

Quoting John Van Enk <vanenkj at gmail.com>:

> I'm working on a Haskell based VPN. I can't think of any good names, so I'm
> crowd sourcing it.

     The naming of code is a difficult matter,
       It isn't just one of your LAN party games;
     You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
     When I tell you, your code must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.

     First of all, there's the name that you use in publicity
       Such as Functional Forms, Nanocurses and HaRT,
     Such as Proof General Kit, vector-space, and hinotify,
     That will roll off the tongue and look good on slashdot.

     But I tell you, your code needs a name that's evoking,
       A name that inhabits the package namespace.
     Such as Text.PrettyPrint.HughesPJ, Data.ByteString,
     That's easily typed when importing MixedCase.

     But above and beyond, there's the name that's unique,
       And that is a name that is carefully picked.
     The one that's so mangled it may well be Greek;
     When it sits in slash-bin, it must never conflict.

     It's the name that will cause most dissent with your peers,
       Far, far more than the task it is meant to perform.
     It should work with your fingers, though not with your ears,
     So de-vowel-ified acronym soup is the norm.

     When you see a developer miffed and distracted,
       Tearing hair out in chunks or pacing without aim,
     They are greatly afflicted by anger protracted,
     Because somebody, somewhere, did not like the name.
       The simple, recognizable,
       Unrealizable,
     Deep, unattainable, singular Name.

OK, having said that, I concur with those who have implicitly admitted
that there are too many H's in the names of Haskell programs.

I'd be tempted to pick a word starting with "lan" and put a "v" in front
of it.  My favourite VLANscape in particular.  It sounds professional,
and can be shortened to vlscape for the name of the executable.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage