[Haskell-cafe] Hoogle? [Stacking monads]

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 6 16:07:13 EDT 2008

Mitchell, Neil wrote:
> Hi
>

>> Try doing a Hoogle search for "c1 (c2 x) -> c2 (c1 x)".
>> Hoogle correctly states that Data.Traversable.sequence will
>> do it for you.
>>
>> Now try doing "c1 k (c2 x) -> c2 (c1 k x)". The 'sequence'
>> function will also do this, but now Hoogle returns 0 results.
>>
>> This is puzzling, since AFAIK, the above two type signatures
>> are "equvilent" in some sense. (Specifically, replace every
>> type X with type Y and you get from one to the other.) To me,
>> this looks like a Hoogle bug. (It goes without saying that
>> Hoogle also failed to find anything for the more specific
>> type signature I was searching for, despite the fact that
>> 'sequence' unifies with it.)
>>

> Hoogle is not a "unification engine" - since that is very rarely what
> people want out of a type search engine. What it is is an approximate
> matcher. Let's compare the two types:
>
> Your search :: c1 k (c2 x) -> c2 (c1 k x)
>
> sequence :: Monad m => [m a] -> m [a]

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of
Data.Traversable.sequence, which has

  sequence :: (Traversable t, Monad m) => t (m a) -> m (t a)

> Are you expecting c1 (:: * -> * -> *) to unify with [] (:: * -> *)? That
> seems kind incorrect at the very last. Additionally, those types don't
> look all that close.

Well, as I said, replacing one term with another transforms one
signature into the other. I guess you can't curry type constructors as
easily as functions - or at least, Hoogle currently doesn't like it.

> But, let's briefly consider unification (and why Hoogle doesn't used
> it). Consider the search:
>
> Eq a => [(a,b)] -> a -> b
>
> What the user wants is lookup, which sadly doesn't unify. However,
> undefined unifies perfectly.

I see...

I notice that x -> y doesn't unify with y -> x in any way, shape or
form, but Hoogle has absolutely no problem with that. What *does* Hoogle
actually use for matching? Just a set of huristics and a metric for how
"similar" two signatures are so it can order by approximate similarity?
Or is it something more scientific than that?