[Haskell-cafe] Hmm, what license to use?

Micah Cowan micah at cowan.name
Fri Oct 3 13:47:43 EDT 2008

Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 2. Oktober 2008 20:33 schrieben Sie:
>> Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
>>> You mean shared libraries without the opportunity to inline library code?
>>> This would result in a huge performance loss, I think.
>> Usually _mild_ performance loss, in exchange for major code-size
>> savings, I would think. C obviously has worked quite fine under exactly
>> this restraint (though C implementations obviously aren't built to take
>> as great advantage of inlining library code as Haskell may be).
> I think that the performance loss is much higher in the case of Haskell
> because of Lazy Evaluation, massive use of higher order functions and
> possibly more.  Maybe one of the GHC developers could comment on this?

Perhaps the best approach currently for creating dynamically loadable
modules in Haskell is to expose the interface via FFI, then? (I suspect
that in most cases, you'd want to provide that as an option, but of
course not as the only means of interfacing with the library, for those
who don't want to make the DLL-vs-optimizations tradeoff.)

- --
Micah J. Cowan
Programmer, musician, typesetting enthusiast, gamer.
GNU Maintainer: wget, screen, teseq
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (GNU/Linux)