[Haskell-cafe] Re: Announcing OneTuple-0.1.0

Jon Fairbairn jon.fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 2 05:42:23 EDT 2008

Benjamin L.Russell <DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com> writes:

>>Note:  the singleton tuple does not support tuple syntax.
>
> What is the syntax for the singleton tuple? [...]
> the singleton syntax will be different from the non-singleton syntax,
> which is also syntactically inelegant.
>
> What is your solution?

Replace () in tuple syntax with ⟨⟩ (unicode 0x27e8 and 0x27e0).

I always wanted Haskell to be defined in terms of an
idealised syntax together with a (at the time ASCII) machine
representation that approximated it.  As time went by, we
could gradually have made the approximation approach the
ideal.  It would probably have been a mistake politically,
though (people would have muttered about APL). Nowadays it
might be more acceptable.

Jón Fairbairn                                 Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html  (updated 2008-04-26)