[Haskell-cafe] Shooting your self in the foot with Haskell

Arnar Birgisson arnarbi at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 05:15:25 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 00:39, Bill <william.wood3 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 16:46 -0400, John Van Enk wrote:
>   . . .
>> I fully realize how un-clever this is. Some one please give me
>> something more worth of the original list. :)
> You shoot the gun but nothing happens (Haskell is pure, after all).

Realizing that I pressed "reply" instead of "reply to all" yesterday,
here's my message again (sorry Bill).

A little refinement: You shoot in the direction of your foot, but
since you are inside the STM monad you can just retry until you figure
out what to do.

You shoot yorself in the foot, but you are perfectly fine as long you
just don't evaluate the foot.

Same, but more subtle:

You shoot yourself in the foot, but nothing happens unless you start walking.