[Haskell-cafe] Shooting your self in the foot with Haskell

Simon Brenner olsner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 18:27:02 EDT 2008

On 10/1/08, John Van Enk <vanenkj at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's the well known "How to shoot your self in the foot" list which I
> have it printed and taped on my desk at work.
>
> http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/susan/joke/foot.htm
>
>  I had a co-worker ask me how you'd shoot your self in the foot with
> Haskell. Here's the best I could do:
>
> "You shoot the gun, but the bullet gets trapped in the IO monad."

While compiling your program the compiler produces a type error long
enough to overflow a kernel buffer, overwrite the trigger control
register and shoot you in the foot.

or

After trying to decipher the type errors from the compiler, your head explodes.

or

After you've finally found a way to circumvent the type system and
shoot yourself in the foot, Oleg appears out of nothing and shoots you
in the foot for coming up with it before him.

:-)