[Haskell-cafe] cabal upgrade

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 1 16:52:35 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 20:53 +0200, Svein Ove Aas wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Duncan Coutts
> > Because we actually consult the index of available packages more often
> > than you think. Every time you cabal install in a local directory we
> > make sure all the required packages are available and consistent. If we
> > had to go to the network every time you would not be happy.
> >
> > There should be a solution here that lets us update more automatically
> > while still allowing people to do offline operations. I'm not sure what
> > that solution is yet though.
> >
> The solution seems obvious to me, actually:
>
> Check the timestamp of the package file at every access. If it's older
> than some configurable value,

Yes, that's the interim solution we're suggesting in the ticket, though
warning rather than actually blocking and going to the network.

> and you have network access, start updating it.

That's hard. Detecting if we would be able to make a network connection
without actually doing it is not something I know how to do (esp in a
portable way). We would very much appreciate some help in this area.

Duncan