[Haskell-cafe] csv one-liner

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Wed Oct 1 16:59:55 EDT 2008

Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> writes:

>> (writeFile "output.csv") =<< (liftM printCSV $ liftM (map
>> updateLine) $ parseCSVFromFile "input.csv")

> Um... Does anybody else find it interesting that we are "showing the
> beauty of Haskell" by attempting to construct the most terse, cryptic,
> unmaintainable tangle of point-free code

I don't agree at all!  How could a pipeline like this possibly be more
clearly expressed than by the pattern:

   readInputFile "input" >>= mungeStuff >>= writeOutputFile "output"

?  The OP asks for improvements, which got rid of a couple of
gratuitous liftMs and such, but otherwise I think it's a pretty
straightforward idiom.

-k