[Haskell-cafe] Compilers

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Sun Nov 30 11:50:51 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 09:00:48PM -0500, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
> On 2008 Nov 29, at 20:02, John Meacham wrote:
>> Oh golly. I never put DrIFT on cabal, apparently whomever tried to
>> cabalize it didn't include the ghc driver script, and also appeared to
>> just drop the documentation from the package altogether. It is things
>> like that that make it very hard to get behind cabal, why was DrIFT
>> crippled just so it can be put on cabal? If cabal wasn't powerful
>> enough
>> to compile DrIFT, and we already had a perfectly good way of compiling
>> it, why the need to shoehorn it in and cause this problem? sigh.
>

> Blaming Cabal for Audrey doing a quick-and-dirty translation (because
> she didn't have a whole lot of time to spend online and wasn't really
> familiar with Cabal or Hackage) is just digging for excuses.

Hmm? This wasn't done by Audrey, all the hackage/cabal stuff she has
done for my projects has been with my blessing. (and thanks)

And creating a crippled version of something you wrote and passing it
off as the original, in a way that clearly breaks things for other
people definitely is something to get upset about. And no, that is not a
technical problem with cabal itself, but it does make me worry about the
motivations of some in the project when that sort of breakage seemed
like a good idea to someone.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈