[Haskell-cafe] Compilers

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Sat Nov 29 20:02:31 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 11:41:03PM +0100, Daniel Fischer wrote:
> Great, nothing I don't already have, so download the source tarball, unpack
> and
> ./configure --prefix=$HOME
> ... more configure output ...
> checking for drift-ghc... no
> configure: error:  DrIFT not found get it from
> http://repetae.net/computer/haskell/DrIFT/
>
> Huh?
> dafis at linux:~/jhc/jhc-0.5.20080307> which DrIFT
> /home/dafis/.cabal/bin/DrIFT
> dafis at linux:~/jhc/jhc-0.5.20080307> DrIFT --version
> Version DrIFT-2.2.3

Oh golly. I never put DrIFT on cabal, apparently whomever tried to
cabalize it didn't include the ghc driver script, and also appeared to
just drop the documentation from the package altogether. It is things
like that that make it very hard to get behind cabal, why was DrIFT
crippled just so it can be put on cabal? If cabal wasn't powerful enough
to compile DrIFT, and we already had a perfectly good way of compiling
it, why the need to shoehorn it in and cause this problem? sigh.

Incidentally, the jhc tarball no longer needs drift to compile (you only
need it if you compile from the darcs repo directly) so I'll get rid of that
check.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈